Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Punched screen card by Jane Johnson

Good morning! Today I thought I would show you how I do my punched screen cards. It is a deceptively simple technique and makes a gorgeous card.



You will need:



Cardstock 30cm x 15 cm

2 x design paper 14.5cm x 14.5 cm

Extra cardstock for punching - the amount you need will depend how large your design is

various punches of your choice - flowers, leaves, butterflies and swirls work well

Coloured image

Shape cutting system/compass or template and knife/nestabilities

Distress ink and sponge




Step 1.








Score your cardstock in half to make your card base.



Step 2.





Decide which shape you want for your cut out. Circles and ovals work well but you can of course use whatever shape you wish. I drew my circle with a compass and then cut out with a craft knife.





Your card base will then look like this. TIP: you can use the off cut for punching some of the shapes out! You then need to cut the same shape from one of you sheets of paper.



Step 3.





Punch out various flowers, leaves, butterflies and swirls from cardstock. These are the punches that I used. Punch out 4 or 5 of each shape to begin with, you can always punch out more as you start to build up your design!



Step 4.





Once you have punched out your shapes, lay your image behind the aperture and play around with the punched shapes without glueing them until you find a design you are happy with. NOTE: It is important to make sure that you have several "anchor points" where shapes touch the edge of the card and also each shape must touch another shape. It is helpful to take a photo of the design at this point so that you can refer back to it when glueing your shapes together!



Step 5.





Ink the edges of all the punched shapes so that they stand out on the finished card. I have used Walnut stain distress ink.



Step 6.





Adhere the paper with the aperture to the card, making sure both apertures line up nicely. Now you are ready to assemble the "screen". You must use only a tiny amount of glue, as shown, so that it doesn't spoil the card.


Add the glue at all the points of the shape that will touch either the card base or another shape.


Step 7.



Continue adding the shapes, only putting glue where each shape will touch another.



It is best to have a non stick craft sheet underneath the aperture as you work to prevent the punched screen sticking to your mat while the glue dries!


Step 8.


Once all of the pieces are glued down you can then add smaller punched flowers on top of the large ones for extra interest and tiny pearls to the centre of each flower. I have also added pearls to the butterfly bodies.


Step 9.

Here is the finished card!! I hope I have inspired you to have a go, and if you do decide to try it I would love it if you would link them in the comments so I can visit you to see!

Jane x

54 comments :

  1. O my,this is beautiful Jane!!!

    Thanks so much for your tutorial!

    hugs
    Sonja

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooooooooooooooooooooooooh love this and I know just how I'm going to use the idea - it's fabulous.
    Ann xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so lovely. I will so try this some time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing this tutorial, Jane! I love the cards you've made with this technique--it makes such a gorgeous effect!
    Hugs,
    April

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful card! :-) Tnaks for sharing!
    Hugs Monica!

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for sharing this clear tutorial.......this is beautifulllll........I'll give it a try!
    xxx Margreet

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing this tutorial its fabulous!! Chanelle xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. In a word STUNNING ... thanks for the tips Melita xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stunning great idea.
    Christine x

    ReplyDelete
  10. stunning honey.. the tip with the craft mat is a brilliant one.. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never seen you cards before. This is absolutely STUNNING! Thank you so much for showing us how you made it.
    Hugs, Candy

    ReplyDelete
  12. That work!
    Beautiful!
    Congratulations Jane!
    Bravissima!

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow this is so gorgeous..i love cards with intricate bits..sorry i am lost for words today..and thats a first.love your card and the turorial was smashing

    ReplyDelete
  14. Precioso tutorial, gracias.
    Besitos.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jane. It's stunning. Thank you for showing how! xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I agree this is stunning. I will save this to case later.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hallo Jane,
    Beautiful card, love it !
    Thanks for sharing
    Françoise(Belgium)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awesome technique.... With this one can make wonders for sure.... Thanks & Hugs ))))

    Ash....
    (http://hastkala-oceanichope.blogspot.com/)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Loved this tutorial!! But could you tell me who makes these swirl punches?!?! I loved yours...

    Hugs from India,
    Smita

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great tutorial with fabulous results! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. danke für die tolle Anleitung.
    Werde ich bestimmt mal nachmachen.

    Liebe Grüße Moni

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a beautiful card! :-) Thanks for sharing!


    Hugs Thea

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am sitting here with my mouth hanging open in awe thats fabulous. Thankyou for such an easy to follow tutorial and such an inspirational idea.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you!!! It's fantastic!!!
    So sweet!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a beautiful card I will certainly try and make one thank you so much lol
    Jo. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Jane what a gorgeous card I have given this technique ago and will post it tomoz I will leave a link back here then wonderful card hugs Toni

    ReplyDelete
  27. Jane this is absolutely GORGEOUS!!! Thanks so much for the inspiration!
    Sylvia xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow, what a gorgeous technique! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. This so gorgeous!!!...I can't wait to try this,Thanks for sharing
    Hugs Jean

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is a very elegant card. You chose a very beautiful colors!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow amazing! I will try this one time as well:)beautiful layout

    ReplyDelete
  32. Gorgeous card, wonderful tutorial :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. stuning card. thank's for your tutorial.
    I love to see whith simple things yoo make wonderful items.
    Dana :-)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Tremendous, I love using punches & this is an ideal way of using my many scraps. Thanks ever so for such an unusual idea - think you may have solved what I do for my husband's birthday card too.
    Paula (PEP)
    http://pepcraftchallexp.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  35. WOW! I can't wait to try this beautiful technique!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi Jane here is my card to share with you love the tutorial Hugs Toni

    http://tonicraftsilove.blogspot.com/2010/06/something-different.html

    ReplyDelete
  37. Ganz herzlichen Danke für die tolle Anleitung, so etwas sollte es öfter geben..Super!!!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Beautiful, thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  39. hiya jane, well i have had a go and am quite pleased with the result, i think i went a bit ott with the punched flowers though.hers my card i hope you like itluv coops.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  40. amazing card! love all the punched details!! thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  41. This is stunning, Jane! I'm definitely going to try it.
    Hugs, Vanja

    ReplyDelete
  42. love the idea fab card heres my take on it
    http://missygdesigns2009.blogspot.com/2010/06/my-daughters-21st-birthday.html

    LInda

    ReplyDelete
  43. Gorgeous!!! Thank you for sharing :-) Hilde Jeanett - DT Scrappiness

    ReplyDelete
  44. Jane,
    Thanks for the great tutorial! I helped my daughter make a card for her friend's graduation...would love it if you could check it out!

    http://makingstuffdaily.blogspot.com/2010/06/two-fun-cards.html

    Hugs to you,
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  45. wow, this is beautiful.

    I will try this

    ReplyDelete
  46. Wow this is so beautiful and the tutorial is mind blowing, I am going to get me that leaf branch punch, I have seen it in my local craft shop, but this is inspiring, many thanks for sharing xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  47. Love this card and wanted to say thank you for the inspiration, which I used to make a card for a new baby :)

    http://suzilous.blogspot.com/2011/01/baby-girl.html

    ReplyDelete
  48. that's an amazing idea..
    Thanks for the lovely share

    ReplyDelete
  49. Thank you so much for your wonderful tutorial Jane, it is so easy to follow, my versions are
    here
    Gini
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  50. Hey, you used to write wonderful. Maybe you can write next articles referring to this article. I desire to read more things about it! Best of luck for the next! Please visit my web site screenshield.us. Best Sony Xperia 5 iii Screen Protector service provider.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...