Monday, July 11, 2011

Mini Santa Shrink Plastic Earrings tutorial

Good Morning Everyone! I (Jane) have a tutorial today to show you how to make a pair of Christmassy earrings using the Santa Mini stamp. The smaller sizes of these images are perfect to make jewellery and charms with if you shrink them down using Shrink Plastic.Align Centre

Materials needed:

Whiff of Joy Mini Stamp - Quiet Santa
White Shrink Plastic
Stazon or other alcohol based ink
Colouring medium (Promarkers, Sakura pen)
Hole punch or cropodile
Jewellry findings: jump rings, earring hooks, eyepins
Round nose pliers and wire cutters
Small pearls

Instructions:

Stamp and colour the image on the rough side of the shrink plastic. The colours will intensify when the image is shrunk so take this into account when colouring in. I added Sakura glitter pen to the fur on Santa's hat and coat. If using Promarkers try not to colour over the stamped lines or the ink will run.


Cut the image out and punch a hole in the top of Santa's hat.


Shrink the image using a heat gun. Use scissors or tweezers to hold the image to stop it blowing away.


When it has completely shrunk, flatten it with an acrylic bloc.


Use the pliers to open up a jump ring and fix to the Santa.


Attach an eyepin to the jump ring and thread on two beads. Cut the pin and bend with the round nose pliers to form a loop.


Finish the earrings by attaching another jump ring and the earring hooks.


I will definitely be making more of these before Christmas comes along. They are surprisingly quick to make and it would also be really easy to make phone charms or small badges using this technique.

I hope you will be inspired to give this a try.

Jane
x

11 comments :

  1. great idea for putting into an advent's calendar! Brilliant!
    Hugs,
    Micky

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought some shrink plastic months ago and not used it after seeing this guess what I'm doing when the housework is done

    ReplyDelete
  3. GUAUUUUU..... me encantaron, me haré unos para navidad, gracias por el dato, cariños.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this tutorial!
    I'm trying to use Polyshrink but everytime I'm not so happy with the results!
    ..I'll try again!!
    Greetings!
    Laura from Italy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry...I forgot:
    which is the best tool to color Polyshrink??
    Thanks.
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  6. EEEKKK I was looking for a tutorial for shrink plastic on google and this link came up! So awesome...thanks so much...I should be getting my first batch of shrink plastic soon! YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Christmas is in the air! I love making customized jewelry, or anything that I could make out of different materials and scraps. I like the idea of using shrink plastic; I might buy some and create a unique personalized jewelry out of it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...