Saturday, September 18, 2010

Ruffled Scallops by Barbara

Happy weekend! This is Barbara and I wanted to show you how I made this fun scalloped background for a card that I made using Henry Christmas Mouse. It is easy to make and so much fun to run your fingers down the card.


Shown are some of the supplies I used for this card. I started by cutting several strips of the background paper that measure the width of the card. Depending on the size of decorative paper edger used, the width can vary but on this card I cut the strips about 1.5" high.


Next, find a decorative paper edge that fits the design and feel of your card (scissors, punches, dies, etc). Then cut the bottom edge of each strip. I alternated offsetting the starting position of the paper so it would have more of a tiled-roof look that I desired.


After all the strips are cut, roll the bottom edge up to give it a curl. Make sure to not crease the paper so if needed, use a round object, like a pencil or marker, to help out. Only the bottom part should curl up like shown.


Layer and tack down each strip onto the card backing - trying to give each strip the same amount of spacing. Start with the lowest row and work your way to the top.


After the background was finished I colored Henry Christmas Mouse with colors I found on the background papers. Then I finished the card with a few embellishments and followed Jane's tutorial on decorating the charm.


** Updated - I had missed this step but have come back to include it. Enjoy! **
It might help knowing how to secure the image the ruffles. Tape and foam dots won't work very well so I used glue on the edges of the strips. I placed the image on top and applied just a little pressure until the glue was dry. Be careful not to press the ruffles flat.


Finally with the card finished this is a view of the ruffled scallops and it really shows how much texture and dimension there is on the card.


This is a great background technique that can be used in several types of projects. So I hope you'll give this a try and have fun while you make it!

15 comments :

  1. How cool this is! So smart if one wants to use some scrap paper that is laying around. thanks so much for the tutorial. Hugs, Jeanette :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a good idea and a new idea that i havn´t seen before. It looks very good. Thank you for the tutorial.
    Renne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Barbara....thanks for this brilliant idea.....I'm surely gonna use this once!
    xxx Margreet

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a good idea, i havn´t seen before. It looks very good.

    Thanks :)

    Hugs Thea

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Barbara, this is lovely, will have to give this a go. It looks so good yet so easy, well done and thanks for sharing with us. Debbiexx

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an innovative use of decorative scissors, the layers are super! I prefer decorative scissors because they allow more freedom of size than die's. I will definitely have a go at this one. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is clever; thanks for sharing this great idea ! Who doesn't have tons of leftover paper; for which this is absolutely perfect :-)
    Just have to try this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is just fabulous! I can almost feel the texture from here!

    Keryn x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness this is fantastic. I love your scallopped edged dps. What a great look.

    ReplyDelete
  10. really great tutorial barbara, fab idea will definately be trying this
    love debbie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Do I like it lol. LOve it. Thank you.
    Chrissyxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow! This is such a nice technique. I'll try it on an album I'm working on now. I love it.

    Hugs,
    smita

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful card and fantastic idea to use up so many of those scraps we all have lying around. Each tutorial here amazes me! Thanks so much for sharing all the great ideas.

    ~Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow great technique, looks amazing, and so easy to do...I'll definitely be giving it a go. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Superb idea wow ! Fantastic ! thanks for this tuto !
    xxx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...